All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:45 pm 
Page Side

This fresh from Scott Burnside's most recent column on ESPN.com:

Quote:
We were joking with Buffalo netminder Ryan Miller the other day about the Olympic quote provided by Russian netminder Ilya Bryzgalov -- one of the only quotes provided by the reluctant Russians in Vancouver -- after their loss in the quarterfinals when Bryzgalov suggested Canada had come at them "like gorillas let out of a cage."

We suggested to Miller he was going to have to up the ante on quotes, but he said he wouldn't be providing that kind of gem, at least not until the playoffs.

Which brings us to an interesting question about Miller, who looks to have an inside track on the Vezina Trophy and will likely get some consideration for the Hart Trophy as league MVP: What kind of emotional toll did the Olympics and his stellar silver-medal performance take on him and can he replicate that level of play come April?

"Our goals certainly are not to simply mosey into the playoffs, it's to be a championship team," Miller said. "It just got to the point in the last two seasons where it was just like, 'OK, let's try and make the playoffs.' You can't do that one. It's nice to think of it as a goal, but really, you should be striving to be playing for championship hockey."

Miller said there is a chance to learn something from the U.S. experience at the Olympics.

"We went in with an attitude where we weren't expected to win, but we thought we could and we were hungry and we were motivated, and it should be how this locker room feels in Buffalo," Miller said. "We're not expected to win, but we can and we expect to."

Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff, an assistant on the Canadian team that punctured the Americans' hopes in overtime in the gold-medal game, said he's talked to Miller and hopes he embraces that experience and uses it moving forward this spring in the playoffs.

"I really think it's helpful, but I understand the emotions he went through and the way the tournament went for him," Ruff said. "A guy like Ryan's so competitive, it should be used the other way. Now we've got one other goal, you've got one more chance to accomplish something else, and I've seen that focus, I've heard it from him personally.

"I know it's not easy. He knows it's not easy. He's one of the more focused and more determined individuals you'll ever talk to," Ruff added. "I think he's done a good job of putting most of it behind him. In his case, he's got to embrace what happened. That part-time job is done, and now it's working together for really what we started the year for, and that was to try and be a championship team."

So far, so good. Miller has piled up an impressive 6-2-0 record, including three straight wins, after losing his first post-Olympic start.

To read the rest of his blog (not pertaining to the Sabres) click here.

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm 
Superstar Goalie

If the Sabres get anywhere near Lord Stanley, it will be all Miller's doing.

I swear he's winning a Conn Smythe before his career is over, though.

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

fly as hale
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Alright...I wonder how I can find a way to get Ryan to be my personal motivational coach once my finals roll around. I could totally picture him getting all philosophical with me and giving me proper insight on how I should approach them in order to reach the highest success possible.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

jordano
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 pm 
Two-Way Center

acrossthelines wrote:

This means that he'd have to at least make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Do you think the Sabres are up to that task?

#1 Hockey Nation.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

jordano wrote:
acrossthelines wrote:

This means that he'd have to at least make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Do you think the Sabres are up to that task?

I dunno, but I sure hope so.

VanekKing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am 
Penalty Killer

jordano wrote:

Miller will be up for it..

And when this team gives 100%, it's very good.. And what team doesn't give it 100% in the playoffs? Im excited for a good run in the playoffs..

KILL OTTAWA

BS1970
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I think with our next 11 games before the playoffs we can get really hot, which can lead off into the post season and help us get pretty far.

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:10 am 
Superstar Goalie

jordano wrote:
acrossthelines wrote:

Not necessarily this season, no. We've got him for, what, another five years at least? I highly doubt we'll ever trade him. I'd like to see him finish his career here.

I do believe he is capable of carrying the team to the finals as long as they can get 2-3 goals per game on average, though...

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

Wozniak
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 am 
Franchise Defenseman

fly as hale wrote:
Alright...I wonder how I can find a way to get Ryan to be my personal motivational coach once my finals roll around. I could totally picture him getting all philosophical with me and giving me proper insight on how I should approach them in order to reach the highest success possible.

wax on, wax off.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:20 am 
Page Side

jordano wrote:
acrossthelines wrote:

Play like they have the past 3 games down the rest of the stretch (which I think they're going to) and they'll make a believer out of me.

jordano
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 am 
Two-Way Center

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
jordano wrote:
acrossthelines wrote:

Play like they have the past 3 games down the rest of the stretch (which I think they're going to) and they'll make a believer out of me.

If they beat Ottawa then they'll make a believer out of me.

#1 Hockey Nation.